Thursday, December 24, 2009

Bitter - Sweet

For years Christmas Eve has been a very exciting and highly anticipated evening in my family. It is a tradition my father started when he was alive and one I hope we carry on forever. Christmas Eve is the one night a year that all my siblings gather to celebrate Christmas. My dad knowing that as his 9 children grew older, married, and started our own families it would be more and more difficult to get us all together in one place. Although, the house I grew up in is small and not the most accommodating place for the Christmas Eve party it is a tradition and we all look forward to it each year! We have had years that over the span of 4 hours more than 150 people have squeezed in to and out of our home. In more recent years the numbers have declined significantly, but we have increased our numbers to try and make up for it. Here is a quick run down: My mom has 14 grandkids, 6 great grandkids, and one grandchild on the way. The majority of the kids are 5 years old and under!! So you can well imagine what a night crammed into a small house is like with just our kids alone. It is pure joy though, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Tonight will be bitter-sweet. Last December 31 we lost one of the members of this crew. My brother Scott went to be with his Savior Jesus Christ in Heaven, leaving behind his wife and son. Even thinking back to last year is tough, but it was exactly a year ago today that I saw him last. We were all gathered for our Christmas Eve Party, never did I or, anyone else there imagine it would be the last time we would see him, talk him, hug him, or be able to tell him we love him. Thankfully, we took time to take a group picture (38 people) which will be treasured always!

So as I prepare to get on the road in just a few hours to head home for this very special evening. I couldn't leave without taking the time to write about my beloved brother who is gone, but not forgotten. My heart is filled with joy knowing that this year he will be spending his first Christmas in Heaven. What better place to celebrate the birth of our Savior than with our Savior Jesus Christ??

I love you Scotty and miss you!! I have to believe that on this very night you and Dad are enjoying a hot bowl of oyster stew.

Daddy, I love you too and miss you, know that your legacy will be forever carried on through us, your children!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That was beautiful, Kelly, thanks so much for sharing. Praying for you and thinking for you tonight.

Winnie Spann said...

Kelly - Thank you for sharing about your loss. This is my first Christmas without my Grandpa and your thoughts about your brother warmed my heart. Praying Jesus gives you peace and pleasure this evening as you enjoy your family.