I have never been more fulfilled or content to be defined by what I do. The moment we are born we are defined by what we do. Through the course of my life I have been defined in many ways; it began at birth for me when I became a daughter, sister, and niece. As I grew I became a friend, student, athlete, etc. . . In the last few years my roles have changed, as well, therefore changing how I was defined. I became an aunt, wife, daughter-in law, teacher, and then four years ago a Mother. Today, I have three children and as many of you know my newest bundle of joy is only a week old. So I thought I would take this time to introduce her and also share how she has already changed me in just one short week. She too has begun the cycle of being defined by what she does. She is already a daughter, sister and niece, which is right where I started 29 years ago. I am excited to know I will have the opportunity to watch and help her grow into these roles that are inevitable for her to be defined by.
In the delivery room 1 hour after birth

Our hospital room 1 day old
Teagan entered the world on January 20, 2010 at 1:31 pm after almost 5 and half hours of labor. Which was much to my surprise but believe me I was more than pleased not to have another 20+ hour labor. She was delivered at 9 lbs, 3 oz and 21 inches long, which is bigger than my other two children who weighed in at (Alaina) 8 lbs, 2 oz and (Will) 8 lbs, 12 oz. Teagan was born with no complications to her or mommy and was already alert, responsive, and smiling the day after delivery. She is very pleasant and hasn't quite found her cry; we have heard her cry, but it is very soft and not very often. We have not put our finger on who she looks like and will probably just have to say she looks like Teagan. She has similar features to Alaina in her eyes and nose and the shape of her face and dark hair remind me of Will. Speaking of hair, boy does she have hair!! Will had some hair and it was dark, but Teagan has a head full of dark hair. The funny thing is at my ultrasound when I was 36 weeks pregnant the technician said, "Oh my does she have a lot of hair!" Even though I knew she was going to have a lot of hair 4 weeks before she was born I still can't believe it and I haven't gotten used to seeing one of my babies with so much dark hair. Anyway, that brings you up to speed on the things I have learned about my sweet Teagan now let me finish this blog by saying how she has already greatly changed me.
Teagan's first smile caught on camera by Grammie at 1 day old!
Leading up to and since Teagan's birth I have had a renewed desire and passion to raise my children in an environment where they will thrive after Jesus as their Savior. Although, as I mentioned above, throughout my life I have been defined as many things I could have added the word "Christian" in front of all those labels. I am teaching my children life skills, manners, and many things throughtout the day. However, my greatest desire is to teach them about their Savior, Jesus Christ. The world defines us by what we do, but if we do not know and have a relationship with Jesus we have nothing. Looking at my children is a reminder everyday that my greatest reponsiblity is to show them by my example how to be a "Christian" in everything they do no matter how they are being defined in that moment.
"These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.Impress them on your children.Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
Deuteronomy 9:6-7
Our first family picture



2 comments:
Congratulations Kelly! I know you are such an amazing mother. I am thankful to get to watch you and learn from you, even from a distance. Your sweet family is just BEAUTIFUL!
What a sweet, heartfelt post, Kelly! Your little girl is just precious...congratulations to your whole family!! Love you guys!!
Post a Comment